We usually shy away the dangerous ground of proper, factual articles here at RTI. However, a rogue link on a Guardian feature led me to the attached study which I found interesting reading.
It’s a benchmarking page from the World Economic Forum – comparing major countries on a whole variety of indices. Lets set aside population growth, economic factors and such irrelevant stuff to focus on what really matters – who has the best roads?
The criteria used to assess the road quality isn’t disclosed so I can’t judge the accuracy of the study. Some interesting observations:
- UAE are rated as having the worlds best roads
- Old Europe does well – with Portugal, Austria, France and Netherlands taking the next few places.
- Singapore comes in at number 6 – the top rated Asian country.
- UK scrapes in at #30.
- Australia gets a savaging at the hands of Swaziland and makes it in at #43…
- Norway is hard to believe at #74.
Go check it out at: (select Table 2.02 Roads)